Thursday, May 15, 2014

Frank Bank

I just had a friend on Facebook post a plaintive request: "Oh, power of the interwebs, what is the piece of music that you often hear played when something is running on TV? Horns, strings, and some marimba/xylophone in it?"

Instantly, I answered, "That must be Khachaturian's Sabre Dance." I was correct.

I'm convinced that I've got an extra lobe in my brain, that only holds trivia. Like... who played "Lumpy" on "Leave it to Beaver"? (And what was the character's last name? And what was the character's actual first name?) Not just things like that, but quotes. I can quote whole scenes of movies I've only seen once. I can often name an artist or song just from the first few notes. Man, I wish I could be on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" or "Name That Tune."

That's the real problem with a job search. Everyone has a talent of some sort. But how can you make that pay? My talent seems to be that I'd be good on a game show, which... well, not really a steady source of employment. I just don't know. Is there a job out there for a guy who knows that Lumpy's last name was Rutherford, and that his first name was Clarence? (I already told you who played him in the title of this post.)

What about you? Does anyone out there have a talent that they are better at than anyone they know? I mean something like, "I can throw a Frisbee 100 yards and hit a target every time." Sure, there's disc golf, but I don't know if there's a pro circuit, or how to break into it. What about, "I have always been exceptionally good at whistling"?

Is there something that you can do, that you love to do, that no one else can do, that would make you wealthy, if only someone would pay you to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment